Muffin Tin Monday: Apples off the Tree

14 Sep

Muffin Tin Monday at Her Cup Overfloweth

Our theme for Muffin Tin Monday was apples, so Leigh and I packed up all the kiddos and drove up to our favorite you-pick farm for some fresh apples!

The ripe varieties of the day were Ginger Gold, Gala, and Paula Red.  We picked and tasted them all, of course!  I am a huge fan of Ginger Gold so that’s all I picked.  JediBoy agreed with me but Leigh’s kids preferred the sweetness and juiciness of Paula Red.  BabyGirl would eat any apple she could get her hands on.

After we picked and sampled our apples, we walked over to a picnic table by the pond to have our MTM picnic.

JediBoy helped me set up our tins.

He loves to use the apple slicer to cut apples into wedges.  He helped me fill half the cups with apple wedges and the other half with dips and toppings.

The kids loved the honey, caramel and peanut butter for dipping and the walnuts for topping.  They also loved snapping the apple cores in half to see the “star” inside, saving the seeds and then flinging the cores into the nearby pond!

Once we were all done eating – and done chasing dragonflies and watching herons and picking wildflowers – we moved back down the hill to the lower part of the farm, where there is a pen with some donkeys and goats.  The kids had a wonderful time feeding the animals handfuls of grass, and later pellets from the farm stand, and even later some of the corn nuts and veggie chips Leigh had bought to feed herself.

The other big attraction was a huge pile of dirt that became a magical playland.

We basked in the sun and watched the airplanes buzz overhead, coming in to the nearby airport, fed the animals and found a caterpillar, and generally savored the company of friends.

Thanks to Leigh not only for joining us for a day of adventure but also for bringing a camera that actually had a memory card inside (whoops!), for taking pictures in the orchard and letting me snap some pictures by the animals, and for framing and uploading them for me.  If you’d like to see the other pictures from our day, you can see them at Sparking to Learn!

To see other apple-themed muffin tins, head over to Her Cup Overfloweth!

14 Responses to “Muffin Tin Monday: Apples off the Tree”

1. Susana September 14, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

You guys are so lucky to be near an apple orchard! This looks like such a fun trip! I love all that you did. Great pictures too:-).

2. Amanda September 14, 2009 at 8:57 pm #

Yeah for the apple orchard! We haven’t made it to the one down the street yet but maybe next weekend! It looks like you all had lots of fun!

3. branflakes September 14, 2009 at 9:30 pm #

your pictures turned out beautiful! I love that you took the tin to the orchard with you.

4. Sherry September 14, 2009 at 9:44 pm #

Looks like GREAT fun!

5. Michelle September 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm #

What a great Muffin Tin Monday!

6. Dana September 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm #

I just love that you spent the whole day outside for the apple theme! Those days are the best!

7. ~Leigh September 14, 2009 at 11:04 pm #

Whose pretty babies are those? Oh wait, they’re ours!

It was a great day. An absolutely wonderful day. Even if we were equally forgetful…at least we forgot DIFFERENT parts of the necessary stuff, so that we ended up with everything we needed in the end.

8. Jen September 15, 2009 at 12:27 am #

Love your photography too!!! :) it’s beautiful!

so perfect to do the MTM on location of the apple farm! :) Love it!

and hey, your apple bag, how fitting! cute!

9. Mariah@Giggles Galore September 15, 2009 at 10:13 am #

I love that you got to go apple picking and enjoy your muffin tin at the orchard!

10. The Activity Mom September 15, 2009 at 1:03 pm #

What a fun MTM! The pictures are awesome! Thanks for the boggle jr. directions! =)

11. Holly September 15, 2009 at 1:59 pm #

My boys would love that. Too bad we don’t live near any orchards.

12. Chasing the Goose September 15, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

we are going apple picking this friday and I hope we have as much fun as you did on your trip. Great idea of a tin picnic!

13. Meg September 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm #

Not putting you on the spot, but I’ve nominated you for the Homeschooling Blog Awards….http://alasandras.blogspot.com/

14. Lisa September 17, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

What a special day for your family! You got really good photos too!